top of page
Copy of MY MUST HAVE GLP-1 COMPANION! (1).png

on the pen doesn't exist without your

generosity

I'm Dave. On The Pen is my thing. My passion. But so are my 4 kids, and so is my day job. In order to sustain my efforts, I have to cover the costs involved with OTP. The website, the programs that make it pretty, and the tools that help people connect to it. A gift of ANY amount is greatly appreciated!

Untitled design (4).png

Big Pharma's New Focus: Preserving Muscle Mass in Weight Loss Treatments

In a remarkable shift, Big Pharma is moving beyond mere weight loss numbers and is focusing on preserving muscle mass. This transformation is exemplified by the latest data from the Phase 2 MOMENTUM trial of Pemvidutide, which shines a light on the importance of muscle mass preservation for healthier, more sustainable weight loss.



Pemvidutide: A New Standard in Weight Loss

Pemvidutide, developed by Altimmune, is a GLP-1/glucagon dual receptor agonist that’s turning heads. In the 48-week Phase 2 MOMENTUM trial, 391 participants with obesity or overweight and at least one co-morbidity were randomized to receive different doses of Pemvidutide or a placebo.


Here’s what the trial found:

- Mean weight loss of 10.3%, 11.2%, and 15.6% for the 1.2 mg, 1.8 mg, and 2.4 mg doses of Pemvidutide, respectively, compared to 2.2% for the placebo group.

- A body composition analysis revealed that only 21.9% of the weight loss was lean mass, while a whopping 78.1% was fat mass.


How Does Pemvidutide Stack Up Against Tirzepatide and Semaglutide

Let’s put these numbers into perspective by comparing Pemvidutide with Tirzepatide and Semaglutide, two of the biggest names in weight loss treatments.


Tirzepatide (SURPASS Trials): In the SURPASS trials, Tirzepatide showed that around 25-30% of the weight lost was lean body mass, meaning 70-75% was fat mass. While impressive, Pemvidutide’s muscle preservation is clearly superior.


Semaglutide (STEP Trials): Semaglutide’s STEP trials revealed that about 39% of the weight lost was lean body mass, leaving 61% as fat mass. Again, Pemvidutide takes the lead in preserving muscle.


Extrapolating to Retatrutide and Survodutide

Given the success of Pemvidutide, it’s likely that other GLP-1/glucagon dual receptor agonists, such as Retatrutide and Servodutide, will show similar benefits. These medications aim to combine the fat loss benefits of GLP-1 with the muscle-preserving effects of glucagon. Stay tuned as more data emerges.


Eli Lilly’s Cutting-Edge Combo: Tirzepatide and Bimagrumab

Eli Lilly is pushing the envelope with a novel approach: combining Tirzepatide with Bimagrumab, a monoclonal antibody known for its muscle-building properties. Early trials are showing that this combo can not only burn fat but also build muscle—a game-changer in weight loss treatment.


Novo Nordisk Teams Up with Regeneron

Novo Nordisk isn’t sitting idle either. They’re collaborating with Regeneron to pair muscle-preserving drugs with Semaglutide. This partnership aims to maximize Semaglutide’s fat loss potential while minimizing muscle loss, offering a more balanced and healthy weight loss solution.


Looking Ahead: The Future of Chronic Weight Management

These advancements in muscle mass preservation are redefining the landscape of obesity management. By focusing on the quality of weight loss, not just the quantity, these innovations promise more effective and sustainable options for those battling obesity.


Stay tuned to OnThePen.com for more updates and in-depth analysis on the latest in weight loss and diabetes treatments. Sharing this article is a powerful form of advocacy that brings us closer to our goal of educating the masses and reducing the stigma of obesity. If you found this article insightful, please share it within your networks, especially in Facebook groups and Reddit forums dedicated to GLP-1 medications and diabetes management. Together, we can make a difference.



Comments


bottom of page